Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My Movie Review: The Secret

Surprisingly, I just came back from watching the movie, "The Secret", with someone. I have not watched any movie for a long time. I don't usually. What motivated me to watch was the piano skills of Jay Chow, the male lead in the show, others commneted. I used to like his songs, which are very soothing though I could hardly know what he is singing. ;)


Review by Daniel Ang
A duet on the piano, a ride on the bicycle, sharing an ice cream, watching the sun set together, these are little pleasures of life that we have seem to have forgotten in this modernized society. It is the kind of love that we all crave for and desire, which humans now are too uncomplicated to think about.

Review by CO's Re
It's in the music that you will find the soul of this movie. It's the music that crafts the emotions of the story - happiness, sadness, yearning, distress and even humour. It's the music that ultimately becomes the salvation of this movie. When the story line falters and when the the depth of the actors were lacking, the music comes through strong and fluid, sweeping you away and allowing you to forgive the shortcomings of Taiwanese pop sensation Jay Chou's directorial debut.

Review by Bee
The storyline was simple but I was enchanted by the piano pieces played by Jay Chow, the male lead (Lun). He is not a great actor and seemed reserved in the whole movie. Some plots are just not logical but the music makes me forget about all those short comings. It made me just want to 'fall in love' with the pianist. It's like a fairy-tale that brings you into a different world.

I don't mind watching it again.



My Afterthoughts:

The movie reminded me of my younger days, where I could easily 'fall in love' with any highly creative persons, such as musicians, artists, singers. Their looks or status aren't important to me. When I was still schooling, one of my ambitions was to be a musician too. I joined the school band and played well. I was made the leader of my instrument group. But my dream shattered one day, when I thought I could never hear anymore as a result of my sickness. My world seemed to collapse then. I even felt that dying was a better option for me than to live in total silence without hearing or making music anymore. Well, I am still alive because of the God I believed in. :)

Perhaps, those feelings may be a kind of 'puppy love', 'infatuation', or pure admiration for talented artists during my teen days. If the artist lose their hands and can't perform anymore, what is there left for me to love? That's not real love. It's a very shallow emotional attachment, a 'falling in love' with their talents, not their personality or character. It's like falling in love with the packaging without loving the content.

This is also true if we were to fall in love with external beauty. However, I discovered that most people don't mind changing boyfriend/girlfriend or even husband/wife once the external charm is gone. That's why there are so many breakups and divorces. Sad....

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home