Thursday, August 02, 2007

What happen to Dell's Higher Standard?

The attempt by John, Dell's customer advocate, to help has been dampened by what Dell Singapore technical support staff did to me today. I am getting more and more frustrated with Dell's after sales service. Let me tell you what happened...

Two days ago (Mon), Dell Singapore staff called to say they will send an 'engineer' to my home to check on my laptop regarding my complaints. The 'engineer' will upgrade my RAM if necessary.

So yesterday, the 'engineer' came to my place and confirmed that my laptop is really running very slowly even w/o installing any other software (I have not even installed MS Office). He then replaced my 2x 512Mb RAM with 2x 1Gb RAM and its performance improved slightly. I asked him if this is a free upgrade, he said "yes". I was happy for a moment, thinking that at least Dell did something right for its customers. That aside, I had to teach this 'engineer' how to download image from yahoo. I was very surprised that as an engineer, he said he couldn't remember how to download pictures from the net.

Surprisingly, I received a call from Dell this morning saying that I have to pay for the RAM if I want to keep them, otherwise he will take it back. I was extremely angry hearing that. On top of all the complaints I had, now Dell gives me reasons to add more. Dell has wasted my leave to attend to its 'engineer', delayed my time in using my brand new laptop, and it is going to waste my leave again to come and dismantle the RAM? Why should I be paying for the the RAM replacement which is covered under Dell's complete cover warranty?

What happen to Dell's Higher Standard?

Dell's success is built on a foundation of personal and professional integrity. We hold ourselves to standards of ethical behavior that go well beyond legal minimums. We never compromise these standards and we will never ask any member of the Dell team to do so either. We owe this to our customers, suppliers, shareholders and other stakeholders. And we owe it to ourselves because success without integrity is essentially meaningless.


I have never regretted for buying anything so far, but I broke my record this time. If you are thinking of a buying a computer, don't buy Dell if you don't want hell.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger stuart said...

My dearest Bee,

I can understand how frustrated you are now with so many bad experiences associated with a brand new laptop, having paid so much and yet got disturbed by it.

You are not obliged to return the RAM since they were the one who changed it for you w/o telling you that they will charge you later. What they did was very unethical. You can even file your complaint at the small claim tribunal court for a refund of your laptop if you want.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I agree with Gladys, don't let Dell makes you feel you're in hell, ok?

*huuuuuuug*

04 August, 2007 01:58  
Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Stuart, thanks for your your consolation. You know what... I was so frustrated with Dell that I composed a poem for Dell. To to that shows how frustrated I was. :(

Hopefully the Dell's customer advocate could resolve my problem.

05 August, 2007 22:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! if i want u to compose a poem for me i must either make you very happy or very sad. ;)

hope your problem can be resolved quickly. chin up, bee!

07 August, 2007 10:57  
Blogger Richard said...

I have never bought a computer online. I don't know what the performance issue with the laptop is. One of the major bottlenecks is the hard drive (sorry, not much you can do to improve its performance).

The last company I worked for, was a Dell reseller and I don't remember there being any major problems (mind you, that was over 7 years ago).

I have to confess, I was very surprised he would have said the memory upgrade was free. Anyway, I hope you get everything sorted out. Remember, the trick to getting ahead is patience and perseverance, you have to wear down your opponent. Go knock at the lawyer's door at 2 in the morning demanding justice. Eventually, he will tire of you and do what you want just so he can have some peace.

13 August, 2007 21:04  
Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Gladys, try making me angry lor :P

Hi Richard, after this bad experience with Dell. I won't dare to buy anymore thing from Dell.

I specifically asked the service staff if the RAM upgrading is going to be free. If not, I won't need any technician to come over to my place. He told me that it will be free with good reason. The technician who came to change the RAM confirmed that.

13 August, 2007 22:38  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home