Saturday, September 29, 2007

Making Wise Decisions


"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."
- James 1:8

Have you ever tried to follow a leader or worked for a boss who tells you one thing one day and the opposite the next? Or tried to be involved with a person who could never make up their mind for what they wanted?

Christian or otherwise, these people can be crazy-making!

I have asked people many times in seminars or classes how many have a hard time making decisions? It always surprises me how many answer in the affirmative.

Why is making decisions difficult for many? Some are afraid they of making a wrong decision. Some simply don't know what they want. For quite a few when they were growing up, somebody else always made their decisions for them. Consequently, they were never taught how to make decisions for themselves or learned how to accept the consequences for the decisions they made.

However, as adults, it is much wiser to make our own decisions and be wrong rather than allow others to make them for us. One of the greatest ways we learn to make right decisions is by making wrong decisions!

To put off and end up not making decisions is making decisions by default which is not a creative way to live. Life is a series of decisions that determine the course of our life and future. It pays to learn how to make wise decisions. God has promised to give us wisdom and guidance to help us make wise decisions, but it's up to each of us to make our own decisions.


Suggested prayer:
Dear God, help me to face and overcome the cause/s of my fear of making decisions, learn to seek your help and guidance in everything I do, and in doing so learn how to make wise and responsible decisions. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen.


- Article from Today's Encounter


My Reflection

The above article catches my attention as I have been toying with an important decision in my mind for the last 2 weeks.

My bible reading tonight also reinforces the message in the above article on making decision...

8 I want to hear what God the Lord says, because he promises peace to his people, to his godly ones. But they must not go back to their stupidity. 9 Indeed, his salvation is near those who fear him, and {his} glory will remain in our land. Psalms 85:8-9 (GW)

When we take time to hear what God has to say, then we will not make stupid decisions. Yes the bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. When we make the right decisions in life, we will save ourselves from much troubles and heartaches.

For me, I seldom regret over the decisions I made in my life, though some of them are painful to carry out. I accept the consequences of my decisions and my conscience is clear. :D

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I only have difficulty making decisions where a large monetary or financial risk exists. I am slow to weigh the consequences. Otherwise, I am afraid I don't really see the urgency to make decisions. Most times we are cajoled into action and making a decision, when, in reality, there was no need to make one.

I don't have any regrets in life, but I do wish Sofia, the kids and I were all together instead of living in separate cities. I am quite intransigent about moving to Montreal and she claims she is unable to find work in Ottawa (although, she has been requested for an interview for a job in Ottawa, I pray she will be able to (1) arrange the interview and (2) pass it).

02 October, 2007 05:05  
Blogger buzybee said...

Not making a decision is also a decision actually. :P

I hope you can be reunited with your family soon. Or is absence making the heart grows fonder? ;)

03 October, 2007 00:36  
Blogger Richard said...

There is a dual problem: (1) I do miss them. I feel letting my kids go to Montreal without me was the wrong decision. On the other hand, I was pretty much a very unpleasant person at the time. (2) The problem is that I need a lot of time to unwind from work (it typically takes me 2-3 hours to come down after I get home - driving does not count as unwind time to me). When I worked downtown, it was better because I could walk the 8Km home. But, now I work 32Km away and it is too far to walk and the public transit is awful (it takes me 2 hours by public transit).

03 October, 2007 04:14  
Blogger buzybee said...

You know what? You are not the first man I know that needs to do that (what you described)... it seems to be quite common (at least over here) for men to need that (base on what their gf or wives said).

Sometimes I wonder if God made men that way or they choose that way. If God intended men to be that way, then why give women as men's companions? Wouldn't the 'nature' of men justify the existence of gays?

16 October, 2007 09:55  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home